But how the heck do you learn to love yourself without being selfish?
Read on, and I’ll show you how in the next 2 minutes.
But, first, does any of this sound familiar?
- You beat yourself up when things go wrong – like you cheated on your diet, didn’t get to the gym, or were late for a meeting?
- You say yes to everyone else when you want to say no – like that last-minute request from your boss? Or agreeing to go and meet your friend for coffee when you’re exhausted?
- You aren’t satisfied with your appearance, no matter what you do? Those jeans never look quite right, or when you wear a figure-hugging dress, all you can focus on is the rolls of fat you can see?
If you can relate to any of these, you aren’t alone; many of my clients were in this place before they came to me.
But, by learning to love themselves, most of my clients lose multiple dress sizes and get back into their favourite jeans…with minimal effort.
To put it another way;
A plant that is well-watered and cared for will be healthier and easier to grow than a neglected plant.
In the same way, someone who loves themselves will find it easier to lose weight than someone who doesn’t.
So what can you do to love yourself more without being selfish?
Well, transforming how you see self-love will help to turn this around.
It’s like when you’re on an aeroplane, and they tell you to put your own oxygen mask on before helping others.
You can’t help others if you don’t help yourself first.
So when you help yourself first, you’re in a better place to support others.
And self-love doesn’t have to be complicated.
Start to take on the habits of someone who loves themselves, and you, too, will become someone who loves themselves.
- Getting 7 – 8 hours of sleep a night.
- Drinking 2 L of fresh water each day.
- Taking 5 minutes out to meditate.
- Drinking less alcohol.
- Taking a few minutes to write in a journal.
- Practise saying no to requests.
- Eating healthy, nutritious foods like whole grains, fruit, veg and lean proteins.
Those are just a few habits you could start following to start loving yourself more without being selfish.
Which one are you gonna try?